My application server is 64 bit machine and it has Windows Server 2008 (64 bit). I tried to host my WCF services in one our alternate application server (which has Windows Server 32 bit operation system) and it's working well in 32 bit environment.
The handler section of an applicationHost.config file is set to “Deny” only on Windows Server 2008 64 bit machine, whereas it's set as "Allow" on the Windows Server 2008 32 bit machine. Finally I did modify the applicationHost.config's handler section as “Allow” and it resolves the issue.
I was bit confused why the specific attibute is set as "Deny" on the 64 bit environment and tried to search forums relevant to the above issue. Unfornately I couldn't discover anything relevant to this issue.
To Relsove the above issue (in Windows Server 2008 environment) ,
- Browse to "C:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config" directory
- Copy applicationHost.Config file and paste it some other directoy (because you can't edit any files reside under "C:\windows\system32" folder)
- Open applicationHost.Config in NotePad and go to above section and change "Deny" to "Allow".
- Save applicationHost.Config file and close it.
- Copy the applicationHost.Config and paste it under "C:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config", choose "Copy and Replace".